Young Minds Helpline for parents and young people

If there are concerns about a young person’s mental health during this difficult time, you can contact the Young Minds Helplines.

Parents Helpline: If you are a parent who needs advice about your child’s mental health you can contact the Parents Helpline directly on 0808 802 between 9:30am-4pm

YoungMinds Crisis Messenger: If you are a young person experiencing a mental health crisis you can text YM to 85258 for free 24/7 support

The Young Minds website is here:


On this webpage link, there is a collection of downloadable self-help guides that we really like and hope may be useful to you. Some are aimed at adults but the ideas and suggestions in them can still be relevant for young people and parents.  

Coronavirus: supporting children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing

Public Health England (PHE) has published advice for parents and carers on looking after the mental health and wellbeing of children or young people during the coronavirus outbreak. The guidance covers: helping children and young people cope with stress; how children and young people of different ages may react; children and young people who are accessing mental health services; children and young people with learning disabilities; autistic children and young people; children and young people who care for others; and bullying. The guidance will be updated in line with the changing situation.


Read the guidance: Guidance for parents and carers on supporting children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak


Help and support if you’re experiencing domestic abuse 

We know that this is not an easy time for anyone, but it’s especially difficult for some families to be cooped up together at home, all day and night. If you are experiencing domestic abuse you can contact Refuge’s 24-hour domestic abuse helpline on 0808 2000 247. If you would prefer not to call and would rather someone contacts you when it is safe to talk you can use Refuge’s online call back request form, go to

Please do keep an ear out for your neighbours and if you hear something that sounds like domestic abuse, report it to the police by calling 101.