If you require a hard copy of a form for school clubs and activities, please visit or call our School Office.
Requesting Leave of Absence
Further to the Attendance Policy – please read below information in regards to Requesting Leave of Absence
The Education (Pupil registration) (England) regulations state that Headteachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances.
Examples of exceptional circumstances where leave may be granted during term time:
- Funeral of a parent, grandparent or sibling – Headteachers should use their discretion having heard from parents about travel and funeral arrangements and taking into account the distance to be travelled
- Sudden loss of housing through eviction or domestic violence – up to a maximum of 3 days.
- Serious illness of a close relative – only if Headteacher is satisfied that the circumstances are truly exceptional
- Out of school programmes such as music, arts or sport operating at a high standard of achievement and agreed by the LA – as appropriate
- Time-off relating to Child Entertainment Performances, subject to a license being issued by the Education department.
There is no legal entitlement for leave in school time to go on holiday and in the majority of cases, the holiday will not be authorised.
Before deciding whether to authorise leave of absence Headteachers will consider
- The impact on the student’s academic progress of any absence
- The pupil’s attendance over the academic year
- Whether the leave falls within any key stage national tests or exams.
A Special Leave Request Form can be found at the bottom of this page.